From Bangladesh to NIU

By Mike Neumann

Twenty-five years ago, Rathindra Bose moved from his homeland of Bangladesh to start graduate work in chemistry at Georgetown University.

Last July, NIU made Bose its new vice president of research and dean of the graduate schools. He came from Kent State University.

“While in the chemistry department, I really restructured the department,” Bose said. “We became highly visible and nationally recognized.”

Bose was promoted to vice president of research at Kent State after only five years as the chemistry chairman.

Bose said he hopes to recreate his Kent State success at NIU.

“First, I would like to get more research funding for the faculty,” he said. “Secondly, I want to recruit highly-qualified graduate students and offer them competitive stipends. I also want to create some new doctoral programs. We need to increase our technology transfers, as well.”

As NIU’s lead researcher, Bose encourages faculty to enhance outside funding in areas such as nanotechnology, biotechnology, information technology, as well as math, science and engineering education.

Bose said he has enjoyed his stay in DeKalb thus far.

“I went to the Maryland [football] game and last week’s game against Iowa State. I was cheerleading from my seat,” Bose said. “I am going to attend this week’s game against Ohio.”

Bose has experience with college athletics.

In 1980, he met an undergraduate student at Georgetown by the name of Patrick Ewing.

“I’ve talked with him a few times,” Bose said. “I would see him at practice and just see him walking around campus. After the national championship game (which Georgetown lost), I remember how sad he was. He didn’t really want to talk about it. He was a really nice guy.”

Even after his Georgetown career, Bose said he remained a loyal fan of Ewing’s.

But it’s more than just athletics Bose has enjoyed in his first months in DeKalb.

The hospitality from everyone has made him very comfortable at NIU, he said.

“The community is very kind,” Bose said. “The faculty, students and administration have been very good to me. I’m very glad to be here.”