Peters ‘not sure’ he made dent on state policymakers

By Stephanie Gandsey

IU President John Peters addressed the University Council on Wednesday, echoing the same message he’s told members of the university community before.

“There is no budget news, period,” he said.

Peters explained the State of Illinois has yet to formulate a budget plan for fiscal year 2005, which is why a university budget can’t be formulated.

Last weekend, Peters attended an Illinois Board of Higher Education meeting at the SIU’s Edwardsville campus where he spoke with policymakers about the state’s budget and the future of higher education.

“We really need to focus on how we’re going to prepare for new students,” Peters said. “I’m not sure if I made a dent on the policymakers.”

Peters told the NIU community last week in his State of the University address that if NIU’s admission standards and retention rate stay the same, the student population could reach upward of 30,000.

Malta partnership

Peters later praised a recent agreement with DeKalb schools, which includes a partnership with the former Malta high school.

Under the new plan, before- and after-school programs, opportunities to study technology and fine arts, and English as a second language will become a reality.

“This university can be limited if the schools in this area aren’t high quality,” Peters said.

Christine Sorensen, dean of the College of Education, said the partnership also will allow clinical placements, collaboration on curriculums, professional development and faculty collaborative research.

“What a wonderful opportunity to be involved at the ground floor to develop a school,” Sorensen said.

In the spotlight

Although the council received some letters saying NIU students were not behaving properly at Huskies football games, Peters said students have behaved well overall.

“By and large, [NIU students’] fan behavior has been very good,” Peters said.

Peters also said many people have called NIU – because of the recent football victories – to find out more about the university’s academic programs.

“We must remember [football] is an important part of what we do, but not the core of what we do,” Peters said.

Student Affairs

Provost Ivan Legg explained to the council how the change in title of the vice provost of Student Affairs would affect the university. The new title, vice president of Student Affairs, allows the position to fall as part of the provost’s office, but also as a part of the President’s Cabinet.

Legg said the new position will give students an opportunity to have a presence on a higher level.