Dept. merger a success

By Stephanie Gandsey

NIU Provost Ivan Legg began Wednesday’s Faculty Senate meeting by asking for feedback on a change made in student and academic affairs.

In 1996, the student and academic affairs departments were combined to enhance support services for students.

Legg said two outside experts came to the university to speak with NIU faculty and assess the process of bringing the departments together.

“From all the people [the experts] visited, they came to conclude everyone was happy with the arrangements [to continue the union of departments],” Legg said.

Legg told the senate the title of vice provost of Student Affairs would change to vice president of Student Affairs.

The new vice president of Student Affairs will support students through different areas, such as advising, activities, fraternities, sororities, resources and food services. The person hired also will be a member of the provost’s staff, the Dean’s Council and the President’s Cabinet.

Because former Vice Provost of Student Affairs Gary Gresholdt retired, Legg is looking to fill the vacancy.

“There will be a very effective national search,” Legg said. “I’m asking for [senate] comments and input on that proposal.”

Executive Secretary Sue Willis then reported to the senate about the current budget situation.

“The budget is still very much in flux,” she said. “I’ll let you know when there is some hard news with substance.”

Willis turned to a positive note when she explained performance contracts to the senate. The contracts are a way for NIU to save money by retro-fitting control valves in different buildings to save energy.

“The university identifies some need to save energy one way or another,” Willis said.

Jim Lockard, chair of the Economic Status of the Profession Committee, delivered a report on benefit packs for faculty. In 2004, there will be a new contract, but Lockard said he feels the faculty needs representation.

“People have little or no opportunity for input,” Lockard said. “We don’t expect in the current budget situation to increase, but we’d hate to lose what we do have.”

Lockard said there may need to be intense lobbying so faculty can have a say in the next contract.

Faculty members are covered for an annual eye exam, he said.

Also, beginning July 1, 2004, there will be coverage for birth control products.