Art for Life event benefits AIDS charity

By Kristin Cavarretta

By Kristin Cavarretta

Assistant News Editor

Wearing everything from tutus to black fishnet tights, NIU’s School of Theatre and Dance made a contribution to the AIDS community this weekend.

Art for Life is a yearly benefit event for those living with and dying of AIDS. Student-choreographed works were performed in the ninth annual benefit, with a few choreographed by faculty. Nineteen pieces made up the program performed in Boutell Memorial Concert Hall.

The repertoire exemplified the diverse talents of the dancers. “Le Corsaire,” performed by dance performance majors Jesse Kopp and Brian Grant, was the sole classical ballet piece in the show. Dancing at a different pace were the fishnet-clad dancers in a rendition of “Cell Block Tango” from the musical “Chicago,” choreographed by dance professor Paula Frasz.

The evening was emceed by senior acting major David Morrison, who kept the audience entertained between pieces. He described the show as “very eclectic” and appealing to different tastes. He also danced in one piece and played the guitar in another.

All proceeds from the show are donated to an AIDS foundation in Chicago, said junior dance performance and business major Jessica Kelpsch, who co-directed the show with senior dance performance major Heather Sherman.

Although most participants in the show were theater or dance majors, Sherman said anyone can be in it. The only requirement is they have to help with the production of the show, since it is student-run with the help of faculty adviser Karen Williamson. They held a car wash and sold raffle tickets and T-shirts to raise funds for the show. But the dancers’ main donation was not money.

“The students’ donation is time dedicated to the production,” Sherman said.