New simulator lets students experience what it’s like to drive under the influence

By Sean Thomas

Students experienced what it’s like to drive while intoxicated by sitting in miniature DUI simulator cars at the Office of Campus Recreation on Wednesday.

The simulator inhibited students’ control of their cars by forcing them to swerve from lane to lane, dodge trees and crash into other cars.

Aside from providing obstacles for drivers in urban and rural settings, the simulator created a random delay in the car’s response to the students’ controls. The delay helped imitate how it would feel to drive with an illegal .10 blood-alcohol level.

Andy Sears, a freshman undecided health and human services major, tested the simulator five times and collided into a simulated school bus at least once.

The simulator was great because it shows how you would drive under the influence, and how dangerous it really is, Sears said.

He also said while testing the simulator, you learn an important lesson. In this situation, it also was fun.

“I think it’s important to let people learn while they have fun,” said Alanna Pautsch, a senior community health promotions major and Residence Hall Association programming vice president. “I think people learn better that way. It’s fun, but makes you really aware, so people think twice.”

Pautsch said RHA and the Campus Activities Board, co-sponsors of the simulator, wanted to hold an event that was educational in regards to human services.

Russ Roth, an employee of Sports Marketing Company, which manufactures the simulators, sees the importance in the use of the simulator.

“The simulator is modeled so that someone behind the wheel of a car will think about this experience and maybe not drive drunk,” Roth said. “If you save one person’s life coming out here, it’s worth it.”