ResTech team offering free computer training courses

By Mike Neumann

The ResTech Training and Development Team is offering free computer training classes to students living in the residence halls.

Some of the classes offered include training on computer networking, computer maintenance, Flash MX, Dreamweaver and Web developing said Mauricio Monico, ResTech Training and Developing Team manager.

Classes began Saturday but will continue throughout the semester, with day, night and weekend classes available.

Students can sign up for a class and view prerequisites by visiting the ResTech Web site at restech.niu.edu/training.

Monico said he hopes to make the training classes an ongoing service to students throughout their stay at NIU. He hopes the training program will continue to grow as well.

“We started this last semester, and we had 300 people sign up,” Monico said. “This year we are expecting 600 to 700.”

Not only is ResTech growing in participants, it is enhancing the programs offered as well.

“Last semester we offered more basic classes,” Monico said. “We are getting more specialized now.”

Monico said students can visit the ResTech Web site and request future classes they would like to have offered at NIU.

The ResTech training service originally was set up by coordinator Jan Gerestein with the goal of providing computer training to the Restech employees before it was transformed into a training service for students in residence halls.

For more information, call ResTech at 753-4007 or e-mail [email protected].