Gettin’ chilly at Chill Fest

By Alice Webb

Chill Fest had a double meaning last Friday when about 50 students came out to kick it in the cold.

The Black Student Union’s fourth annual Chill Fest finally took place Friday after being postponed the previous week because of rain.

DuJuan Smith, BSU treasurer and a senior sociology major, has attended Chill Fest since its inception four years ago.

“The event started out small and indoors,” he said. “Then it was moved outdoors to accommodate more people.”

Johnice Harvey, a sophomore political science major, doesn’t frequent events, but said she came to Chill Fest for the first time because she didn’t have anything to do.

“I’m not a suitcase student, but I think those that are would stay for the weekend if there were more events like these,” Harvey said.

Groups “Selected Few” and “On-Point” entertained the Chill Fest crowd.

“We do more than throw parties,” said senior management major Andre Brown.”We also have participated in the Wheel-A-Thon and clothing drives. We have hosted other social events, such as panel discussions and comedy shows.”

S.I.S.T.E.R.S. members Taalia Whitehead and Lakingya Robinson said they had fun and thought Chill Fest had a good turnout despite the cold weather.

“I’m having a fabulous time,” Robinson said. “It’s good for minorities to represent their organizations and have a good time together. It provides a great sense of unity.”

Senior economics major Samuel Baker, president of the Dream Team community service organization, said he agreed.

“I’ve come to Chill Fest every year, and I’m glad to see black folks healing,” Baker said. “There’s no violence involved. It’s a community atmosphere.”

Although many people enjoyed the event, some said they wished for a bigger turnout.

“Last year’s Chill Fest was bigger, but I’m glad the organizations get to bond,” said Hagar Allen, a junior communication major and member of the Sigma Lambda Gamma sorority.