Positions remain open at NIU

By Mike Neumann

Several part-time job opportunities are still available to students through the NIU Student Employment Program.

Outside the Student Employment Office, at Swen Parson Hall, Room 245, is a bulletin board filled with jobs for which students can apply.

Many of the jobs offered are for dining services in residence halls. Other employment includes academic tutors, animal caretakers, media assistants, art models and clerical/receptionist positions.

Senior sociology major Teria Richardson is interested in student employment.

“I’m pretty much just searching right now,” she said, noting that a position offered at the Convocation Center might be fun.

“They pretty much know you’re in school. You don’t have to worry about working overtime,” Richardson said as she continued to scan the various job opportunities.

One student employee, senior psychology major Renee Bersell, has worked at the Holmes Student Center since last spring and agreed with Richardson.

She’s enjoyed working for the school because management has been very accommodating to her schedule.

Students working for NIU are paid an hourly wage that goes directly to them rather than to their college debts, according to the student employment Web site.

To be eligible for student employment at NIU, a student must be enrolled in at least six credit hours during the current semester.

Students can visit www.hr.niu.edu to search and apply for a job online, or they can call the Student Employment Office at 753-1394 for information.