13,900 campers invade NIU

By Stephanie Gandsey

In the Student Recreation Center, hundreds of high school students practice a dance. In Reavis Hall, students in speech camp do research for their speeches. And across the campus at University Plaza, members of a soccer development program check into their residence hall rooms for the week.

NIU is host to many school-aged camps this summer including sports, speech, development and liberal arts camps. Between June 2 and Aug. 17 there will be an estimated 13,900 campers.

“It keeps us very busy,” said Tim Trottier, coordinator of summer operations.

Giovanni Stephens, 14, of Rockford came to the six-week Upward Bound camp to learn what high school classes would be like and how to study better. Stephens attends workshops throughout the week with other high school students in the area.

“It’s challenging, but fun,” Stephens said.

Deb Booth, director of summer in the arts at NIU, coordinates camps in art, theater, jazz and dance.

“The camps are a really good pre-college experience,” Booth said. “It gives [campers] a good idea of what it will be like when they come to college.”

The NIU speech camp is in its 17th year and teaches campers better speaking skills in areas such as prose, verse, original comedy, dramatic interpretation and original oratory.

Students were able to choose which category they wanted to study during the week.

Ellen Vant, a freshman from Rosary High School in Aurora, decided to study original oratory for the week, in which she has to make a persuasive speech.

“Friends and parents told me I was a good speaker. I thought, ‘Hey, I have nothing to lose,’” Vant said. “It’s been quite an experience.”

Many of the students enjoyed meeting other students who share their interests.

“I like meeting people who are into speech and realize that my little town isn’t the only one,” said Ilona Ksiazak, from Reed-Custer High School in Braidwood. “I’m learning things I can use the rest of my life.”

Nicole Carreno, a senior English major and president of NIU Forensics, said many camp counselors are NIU and camp alumni.

“Many counselors are former campers who are giving back to the program that gave so much to them,” Carreno said.

Graduate communication student Jim Yeager is one alumnus helping with the program.

“We get to see the students as they progress,” Yeager said. “At the end of the week, we put on performances for the other counselors and the students get fresh ideas from the other counselors who haven’t seen them during the week.”

Also taking place at NIU is the Huskie Pup Day Camp for children ages 6 to 12.

Campers get to swim, play sports and exercise during the day.

“The camp helps them socially,” said Jeremy Burke, assistant Pup Camp coordinator. “They meet a lot of new people and the camp isn’t based on skills, but having fun.”

Campers even get a taste of college residence hall life since they’re staying at Grant Towers and University Plaza.

Alex Eisner, 14, of Sheboygan, Wis., came to stay at University Plaza for a soccer camp.

“The dorms here are bigger than we thought they would be,” Eisner said. “There’s also a big selection of food.”

The summer camps may help students make up their mind where they would like to attend college.

“This may be the one experience that will stick with them and, they might think, ‘Hey, maybe I will go to Northern,’” Trottier said.