Huskie Patrol to return

By Alice Webb

New additions will be implemented to the University Police’s foot patrol program this fall.

Two new Community Safety Centers (CSC) will be located at Lincoln and Neptune halls.

CSCs, which are to assist students in case of emergencies, were implemented in Douglas, Stevenson and Grant residence halls last year.

The Huskie Foot Patrol also is coming back this fall. The patrol and CSCs will work together because the CSC’s officers work on foot in the residence halls and parking lots.

“The Huskie Patrol was canceled three weeks prior to the end of spring semester due to budget cuts, but it will resume in the fall,” said Judy White, secretary for the University Police.

The CSCs will provide officer assistance every day to help maintain a warm, friendly environment said UP Police Chief Donald Grady.

“CSCs help foster a partnership between students and the police,” Grady said. “The police in the dorms also serve as facilitators, mentors and mediators.”

Since the introduction of the CSCs, there has been a 59.32 percent decrease in crime on NIU’s campus.

“Our goal is to make NIU the safest campus in the entire nation,” Grady said. “Somebody has to be the best, why not us?”

Aside from the CSCs, other safety measures have been improved on campus. Ten more emergency call boxes have been added to campus.

Michele Crase from the environmental health and safety department was instrumental in placing boxes in proper locations.

Some of the new boxes were placed near Barsema and Anderson halls.

Fraternities on campus worked with police last year to make sure call boxes were working properly.

Senior elementary education major Nekika Skinner felt the additions put students more at peace on campus.

“I have never had to use a call box, but I feel safe knowing they are around,” Skinner said.

Last year Stevenson, Douglas and Grant were the first residence halls to receive CSCs.

Late-night rides also are offered to students between the hours of 10 p.m. and 6 a.m.

Junior corporate communication major Malikah Moses felt the benefits of a safe ride home were worth the wait.

“I have used the late-night service on Thursdays, (their busiest night) and it only took about thirty minutes before they came to get me,” Moses said.

Late-night rides will provide for students on and off campus during the fall and spring semesters. Late-night rides will not be offered during summer, spring and winter breaks.