Financial aid notifies by e-mail

By Kristin Cavarretta

While NIU’s Student Financial Aid Office is busy keeping up with technology, students receiving financial aid need to keep up with checking their e-mail.

Now, all continuing students will receive financial aid award notifications via e-mail rather than through the mail. All new freshmen and transfer students still will receive a paper award notification.

The notification will be sent to the e-mail address supplied on the student’s Free Application for Federal Student Aid. If no e-mail address was on the FAFSA, students will still receive paper award notifications.

“We are moving with technology,” said Director of Financial Aid Kathleen Brunson. “It’s a way to get information out quicker.”

NIU will use Sallie Mae to send an e-mail titled “NIU Financial Aid Award.” A secure link will be in the e-mail, which will take students directly to their financial aid package information. At the same time the e-mail is sent out, a postcard will be sent to the student’s home address reminding them of their online award notification. Brunson encourages students to reply promptly to their award notification to ensure a timely process. One week after the award notification, a reminder will be e-mailed to the student if they have not yet replied.

Students are expected to start receiving their online notifications in about two weeks, but there are no exact dates due to the state budget crisis. NIU joins the majority of other state schools in making adjustments in their financial aid processes. Brunson said that she has been working hard to get numbers out to the students.

“[The award notification] is going to be the best possible estimation of an award,” Brunson said. Star Poll