CAB’s last blowout of the year

By Mike Larmon

Counting down the days until summer arrives?

Well, don’t get too far ahead of yourself. It’s still spring and NIU has one last big event planned before the year ends. Campus Activities Board’s Springfest, begins on Saturday and ends next Thursday.

Springfest kicks off with a battle of the bands to be held in Central Park from 12 to 6 p.m. For months, bands sent in their demos and some of the best were chosen to battle against each other for the enjoyment of NIU students.

“One hundred to 150 demos were submitted to us throughout the year,” said John Ugolini, CAB director of concerts. “We had a committee of students hold listening sessions and pick eight bands to participate.”

Of those eight bands are local favorites Infrared and Bicycle Day, along with female acoustic songwriter Sam Dole. CAB also has planned some “Nooner” concerts to take place on campus, including a punk band called The Dog and Everything, which will play Tuesday at the Holmes Student Center’s Diversions Lounge.

Springfest coordinator Becky Kampe said CAB had a budget of $8,300 to spend on this year’s fest and it didn’t waste a penny. From a giant chair students can sit on to getting their initials written on a grain of rice, there’s a little something for everyone. Junior business major Amanda Neubauer had the pleasure of experiencing the magic of the “Big Chair” at the beginning of the school year, when it last paid a visit to NIU.

“It’s just funny to see yourself sitting on a big chair in a picture. It’s a great picture to have,” Neubauer said.

Kampe said this year’s event ideas came from other events, like Homecoming.

“I’m really excited about Troy Thirdgill [performing at 7 p.m. Monday in the Diversions Lounge], the comedian, and The Dog and Everything is one of my personal favorites.”

CAB also has a couple of movies, like “Punch Drunk Love,” playing in the Carl Sandburg Auditorium on Sunday and “Die Another Day” on May 1. Also, feel free to get a free massage at the King Memorial Commons from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Monday. Finishing off Springfest on May 1 is a “Finals Bash,” taking place from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the MLK Commons.

Being that this is only the second time CAB has had a Springfest, it is doing all it can to promote and get students to come out.

“Not too many people knew what it was about last year,” Kampe said.

For information on all the events taking place and some free Mp3s from The Dog and Everything, visit CAB’s Web site at www.niu.edu/cab or call 753-1580.

Sunday

“Punch Drunk Love” Adam Sandler’s best performance – 8 p.m. at Carl Sandburg Auditorium in the Holmes Student Center

Monday

Nooner – Threefold – Noon to 1 p.m. at the MLK Commons

Free Massages – Why aren’t you in line already? – 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the MLK Commons

Comedian Troy Thirdgill – 7 p.m. in Diversions Lounge at the Holmes Student Center

Tuesday

The Dog and Everything -Noon in Diversions Lounge at the Holmes Student Center

The Big Chair -11 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the Holmes Student Center’s Diversions Lounge

Comedian Peter Lipsey – 7 p.m. in Holmes Student Center’s Diversions Lounge

Wednesday

Nooner – Reggae band Natty Nations – Noon to 1 p.m. at the MLK Commons

Rice Mania – Your name written on a piece of rice, feed it to a bird and then watch it explode (or so they say) – 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the MLK Commons

Natty Nations is back – 7 to 9 p.m. in the Holmes Student Center’s Diversions Lounge

Thursday

Finals Bash – 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the MLK Commons

“Die Another Day” – 8 p.m. in Carl Sandburg Auditorium at the Holmes Student Center