Faculty adopts ethics policy

By Michael Klaas

The Faculty Senate debated a recommendation for a grievance process for students who have been subject to faculty misconduct at Wednesday’s meeting.

Also, a statement of professional ethics was added to the Faculty Senate bylaws.

The Faculty Rights and Responsibilities Committee of the Faculty Senate proposed that the senate request that a grievance process be created that would allow students to report inappropriate treatment by faculty. This new process might cover kinds of discrimination that are not already forbidden by law.

Sexual misconduct and grading errors will not be covered by the policy because they already have grievance processes in effect.

University Ombudsman Tim Griffin supported the concept.

“Since there is no official or unofficial record kept [of student grievances], there is no data,” he said. “We’re not talking about large numbers [of problems] … but one might argue that even a very small number is significant.”

Senate members showed a willingness to discuss the issue, but eventually sent the proposal back to committee to be refined. The Faculty Rights and Responsibilities committee likely will not raise the issue again until the next academic year.

The Senate did pass a new ethics statement that has been added to the organization’s bylaws. The five-point statement forbids faculty discrimination against students, other faculty and staff, and it contains an expectation of a positive community image and a commitment to state the truth.

In addition to these votes, the Faculty Senate heard summaries of other meetings. Sue Willis, executive secretary of the University Council, summarized the events at the March 19 Board of Trustees meeting and spoke about the lobbying against budget cuts that have happened in Springfield.

“Every time the president has been in Springfield, one or more or the trustees have been there too,” she said.