Decisions 101 aids in the hunt for a major

By Stephanie Gandsey

Students trying to decide what to major or minor in found help in Grant Towers’ Lower Lounge during Decisions 101 on Tuesday.

The event, sponsored by Student Housing and Dining Services, allowed students to talk with advisers from different colleges and departments.

Learning assistant Jennifer Klostermann, a junior elementary education major, helped put the event together. Being able to meet with advisers makes it easier on undecided students, she said.

“Some students are undecided after a year,” Klostermann said. “It’s hard to go to 20 different offices to figure out what you want to do.”

Another learning assistant, Caitlin Ericksen, a senior sociology major, said the event was good because it was in a residence hall.

“It’s something in their house they can go to,” Ericksen said. “In Grant, we mainly have undecided freshmen, and this is something geared toward our residents.”

Jenn Weidman, a graduate student with a concentration in Southeast Asian studies, represented the minor. She said that the program is known throughout the world.

John Stolte, director of the gerontology program, spoke to students interested in the study of aging. He said the field is small now, but the department is trying to make it grow.

“It’s bound to become more popular as the population comes to age,” Stolte said. “I happen to think it’s a really good program.”

Diana Swanson, an associate women’s studies professor said that sometimes you find what you want to do late in your college career. Swanson was a senior in college when she took a women’s studies course.

“There’s a lot of learning done outside the class,” Swanson said on choosing a major.