We have a winner

By Stephanie Gandsey

Cheers erupted from Student Association President Kevin Miller’s home as the SA election results were heard over the speakerphone.

Presidential candidate Shaun Crisler, treasurer candidate Andrew Josephson and student trustee candidate Kevin Miller all were told they won the positions they were running for.

Vice-presidential candidate Andrew Becerra, who also is on their ticket, will have a run-off with competitor Laisha Fox next week. Fox had 631 votes, but needed 637 to win. Becerra had 525 votes.

After the results were heard, Italian champagne was uncorked and calls to mothers were made. Miller stood on his stairs and thanked everyone, but he reminded everyone there still was work to be done.

“We thank you all for your support,” Miller said. “We have another week to go.”

Becerra congratulated his running mates and kept a positive attitude.

“This gives me more motivation,” Becerra said. “I know I will prevail by the support of my comrades here, and we’ll be back here again next week for another toast.”

Pam Lake, a freshman undecided business major and a College Republican, came to support her friends.

“They’re very personal people,” Lake said. “They’re a diverse group and their personalities come together well.”

Adam Novotney, a junior management major and an SA senator, was happy with the election.

“I knew everyone on every ticket and I felt that this group of people would do the best job,” Novotney said.

Becerra and Josephson hugged each other in congratulations.

“I feel good,” Josephson said. “I’m happy and I’m relieved.”

Crisler was glad all of the hard work paid off.

“You have to spend all your time convincing people to vote for you,” Crisler said.

Crisler also said what he wanted to accomplish next year.

“The biggest thing we want to accomplish next year is to let students know the Student Association exists and that we’re working for you,” Crisler said. “We want to let freshman, sophomores, juniors and seniors know how important being involved is.”

Miller said one of the different techniques their ticket used was that they didn’t talk about other candidates negatively.

“We ran on what we’ve done and what we can do,” Miller said.

The winning candidates reminisced about the election, but didn’t forget that the four of them still had work to do in next week’s run-off election.