Lectures examine black issues

By Stephanie Gandsey

Ron Daniels, a political activist and founder of the Organization for Constitutional Rights, will give three lectures today about black leadership and survival on a predominately white campus.

The lectures are sponsored by the Center for Black Studies and the Black Student Union.

Van Amos, program coordinator for the student and culture program for the Center for Black Studies, said that Daniels has been an advocate of black studies for the past 30 years.

Amos also said that he is well versed in contemporary issues, both traditional and non-traditional.

“He’s a very unique individual and he’s very articulate and charismatic,” he said.

Daniels is a former professor of black studies at Kent State University. His studies focused on race, culture, identity crisis of blacks in America, miseducation of African-Americans and survival on a predominately white campus.

DuJuan Smith, director of public relations for the Black Student Union and a junior sociology major, said that Daniels is a very positive person and has an unique perspective on society.

“You can find it’s not just an African-American issue,” he said. “What affects one, affects us all.”

Sharina Ware, Black Student Union program coordinator and a junior history major, said that various students recommended Daniels.

“He has a lot to empower the African-American community and offers a voice of hope for young aspiring leaders on campus,” Ware said.

Daniels has also traveled and studied history, politics and culture in Liberia, Sierra Leon, and Senegal.

For information, call the Center for Black Studies at 753-1709.