Gymnastics begins year with victory

By Brian Kelley

As winter looms on, the NIU gymnastics team kicked off the 2003 season with a convincing 191.675 to 182.950 victory over Winona State University on Sunday at the Convocation Center.

Sophomore Kristina Campos showed no signs of a sophomore jinx as she put up an all-around score of 38.925, just short of her 2002 season-high of 39.100. Campos placed first in the floor exercise with a 9.875, and on the balance beam with a 9.725.

“We had a couple of misses on beam and bars that were unexpected,” coach Mark Sontag said. “But to begin with a 191.675 is a good way to start the season.”

The Huskies placed first in all four events. Sophomore Lisanna Goldschen put up a 9.750 on the uneven bars to lead the way for NIU, as they took the top five spots in the event.

Freshman Ashlee Williams started her college career off with a strong showing, including a 9.775 on the floor.

“We put one of our freshman out there today, and put a big load on her table today, and she got the job done,” Sontag said.

Behind senior Kristie Woodin the Huskies took the first five places on the vault, as well.

“We took this first meet as stepping grounds for the rest of the season and as it’s looking from this, yes, we have room to improve, but we’re going do those improvements,” junior Keri Saint said. “By the end of the season we’re going be ready to go for the MAC Championship.”