How far would you walk for an education?

By Stephanie Gandsey

Standing by his seventh floor window in Stevenson Towers, junior accountancy major Brian Eberly looks toward Barsema Hall and dreads the 25 -minute walk to his first class.

Other students, like sophomore marketing major Andrew Bierma, have to worry about making it from DuSable Hall to Barsema Hall during their 10- or 15-minute passing periods.

“Unless class is dismissed early, I probably won’t make it on time,” Bierma said.

The .63 mile hike from DuSable to Barsema takes about 15 minutes, according to the Barsema Hall Web site, but if students only have a 10- minute passing time, they will be late for their next class.

To alleviate the problem, the Student Association funds a shuttle bus that stops at DuSable, the Holmes Student Center and Barsema. It takes the bus 12 minutes to make it to Barsema and 22 minutes for a complete round.

Students, however, wish the bus was more convenient.

“I’ve had my eye out [for the shuttle] and I still have yet to see it parked anywhere close where I can get on it,” Bierma said.

Eberly suggests just leaving on time and walking to Barsema.

“If you walk with other people or listen to music, the time goes faster”, Eberly said. “One of my friends walks really fast, so I usually go with him so I make it on time.”

Dan Kapff, a sophomore biology major, also walks a long distance to his class at Faraday Hall. Kapff said it takes him about 15 minutes to go from Stevenson Towers to Faraday.

Before creating a schedule, the undergraduate catalog suggests making sure students can make it to their next class if they need to change buildings.