Thieves target unlocked lockers

By Rachel Helfrich

A handful of students learned a hard lesson at the Student Recreation Center, and it had nothing to do with a workout.

Nine thefts from unlocked lockers have been reported to University Police this week. Lt. Matt Kiederlen wants to get the word out, so no more students fall prey.

“We are doing everything we can to curtail the thefts,” Kiederlen said. “But, the best protection is to lock your lockers.”

The first three thefts were reported at once, and the others trickled in throughout the week. So far, all the reported thefts involved the men’s locker room. Dave Lochbaum, facilities director at the Office of Campus Recreation, said signs are posted in both locker rooms warning patrons to lock their lockers, and that more were added after the first lockers were burglarized.

Students using the Rec should pay attention to those signs and all signs, Lochbaum said.

The Rec does rent lockers with locks to students on a semester basis and allows students to bring their own padlocks to use on open lockers, which must be emptied nightly. Kiederlen said there have been no burglaries to locked lockers this year, or any year in recent history.

Lochbaum asks for patrons who do notice a theft at the Rec to notify the front desk and have the police called before they leave. This way, the Rec also can make a report of what items were taken. The Rec’s employees often do not know of burglaries on their premises until police inform them, Lochbaum said.

Both Rec officials and University Police urge students to use common sense when bringing personal belongings out of their room, and to leave valuables at home.

Kiederlen agreed, calling the unlocked lockers targets of opportunity that give the thief a chance to rifle through lockers to take what is wanted.

If anyone has information regarding the burglaries, call University Police at 753-1212.