SA seeks new leadership

By Jeff Goluszka

You could be the next Student Association president.

Any full-time NIU student meeting basic requirements can petition to be president, vice president or treasurer of NIU’s student government.

All candidates must attend the Candidates’ Meeting on Monday, Feb. 10. The time and location will be decided by the SA Senate at its first spring session Feb. 2.

Running for office is valuable because it helps students learn more about the university and how it functions, said Bertrand Simpson, associate director at the Office of University Programming and Activities.

“The more you know about this place, the more you get out of it,” he said.

Those elected will serve a one-year term beginning May 15, according to the SA Constitution.

Candidates must have a cumulative GPA of at least 2.00 and be enrolled in at least 12 semester hours each semester of his or her tenure in office. Candidates also must not be on academic probation or punishment for academic or criminal misconduct.

Finally, each student wishing to run for executive office must gather 400 signatures from fee-paying students on an official petition. Each petition is due at 4 p.m. Friday, Feb. 14.

The elections are March 25 and 26, which gives candidates six weeks to campaign.

“Part of being elected requires the person to be reasonably well known,” Simpson said. “The hardest thing is getting the name recognition. If people have never heard of you, they’re not going to vote for you.”

Simpson said getting people to vote is the second-hardest thing about running for office.

Current SA President Kevin Miller is a junior and is eligible to run for a second consecutive term. Brooke Robinson, the SA’s director of public affairs, said Miller has not yet determined if he is going to run again.

Students at the Candidates’ Meeting will receive elections policy information, important dates for election events and a registration packet, according to the SA Elections Policy.

The registration packets are due Feb. 14, along with candidate petitions.

Simpson said running for executive office is an industrious experience.

“If you’re interested in a career in public service, it gives you a flavor of that,” Simpson said. “Like any job or internship, it also helps you learn more about yourself and other people.”

For information about SA elections or officer responsibilities, visit www.sa.niu.edu.