Finally, it’s time for finals

By Stephanie Gandsey

It’s finally the end of the semester, but don’t forget why you’re here in college. After all you (or your parents) didn’t spend thousands of dollars to party all semester. When you get that grade you want, there will be something to party for.

Sometimes it can be hard to study when all your friends keep calling and asking you to do something, but here are some ideas to help you actually get some studying done this finals week.

1. Find places that have study lounges.

I know how hard it is to get work done when people keep calling or the TV is only inches away, so I try to go somewhere else. I suggest the Newman Catholic Center’s 24-hour study. Located at 512 Normal Road, next to the Campus Life Building, the Newman Center offers a quiet place to study and snacks for 24 hours a day this week. You even can bring others from your class and have a study group.

2. Take yourself out to eat.

Go to your favorite restaurant and get a booth all to yourself. Enjoy a good meal while you study your notes. This way you’ll feel like you’re treating yourself, but at the same time you’re getting work done.

3. Type out your notes.

Once I had an art appreciation class that had so much information I couldn’t stand trying to read my own handwriting over and over. By typing out the notes , I made sure I studied all the information and it was easy to read.

4. Get a study group together.

Why study for a final alone? Call people in your class and talk about the information together. I suggest trying to find someone who did well all semester to help you study since you can learn more from him or her.

5. Get away from distractions.

Turn off your cell phone, Instant Messenger and the TV. I can’t believe how much time I waste chatting online. I love my friends, but when you start chatting about procrastinating, you know it’s time to get off.

6. Teach the material to someone else.

I’ve had professors say if you can teach the material, then you really know it. So find one of your lucky friends who don’t have any finals and tell them the information, or call your parents and impress them with your knowledge.