Physical plant keeps campus running

By Jessica Majkowski

Beneath the hustle and bustle of our college lives, there is a silent crew of people that keep things running smoothly at NIU.

Thanks to the NIU physical plant, we can relax knowing that our heat, electricity, plumbing and refrigerators are working just fine.

The physical plant is responsible for nearly all maintenance and repairs on campus.

“The physical plant provides facilities maintenance throughout the main campus and some of the satellite campuses,” said Mike Saari, associate director of the physical plant. “We also maintain all of the streets and sidewalks and grounds area.”

Edward O’Donnell, assistant director for the physical plant, is responsible for the craft maintenance and remodeling done by the physical plant.

“I have a very talented and skillful work force,” O’Donnell said.

He said that there are eight trade shops within the physical plant. Each trade shop conducts a specific type of maintenance or repair. The shops include carpenters, electricians, elevator repair, painters, plumbers, refrigeration, masons and key control, which is responsible for making the keys used on campus.

“Last year we did approximately 20,000 work orders,” O’Donnell said.

In order to request a repair job from the physical plant, a form called a work order must be filled out.

“There is a structure on how work orders are submitted to us,” Saari said. “In many cases students can call in.”

He said students can call the physical plant directly, if they ever notice hazards on campus that need repair. The physical plant will then dispatch the appropriate repair people.

“Usually, with safety concerns, we respond immediately,” Saari said.

However, for repair jobs in the residence halls, students should call the NIU Fix-It Line instead. The Fix-It office will then contact the physical plant.

Saari said that to contact the physical plant directly about hazards on campus, students can call the work order desk at 753-1741. After hours, students should call the 24-hour heating plant at 753-1151. To reach the Fix-It Line, call 753-4948.

Students can also fill out work orders online at the physical plant Web site, www3.niu.edu/depts/phys_plant/pp.html, or the Fix-It Web site, www.stuaff.niu.edu/housing/fixit/default.htm.