Laughter comes from the Soule

By Willie Mickell

The stage was set Saturday with one disc jockey, two turntables and a microphone waiting for comedians to step to it and make people laugh.

Soule Infinite Entertainment welcomed comedians including Honest John, Deray, Michael Blackson and a host of others for students Saturday night at the Holmes Student Center’s Carl Sandburg Auditorium.

Soule Infinite is a group that stands for support of unity and love every day while organizing and producing entertainment events for people to enjoy.

LaShun Tines, president of Soule Infinite, said the event was the result of collaboration between Soule Infinite and comedian Deray.

Deray, a well-known comedian around the country, has appeared in television shows and movies and currently is touring the country and attending colleges with other comedic performers.

No topic was off limits for Deray. He joked about virgins, men in love, men being punks, his mother and NIU police.

“Women are very persuasive and manipulative,” Deray joked, speaking of a couple dressed alike in the audience. “They will persuade you into wearing something just like them if they want to. Men have to be stronger and resist this temptation.”

Most of the comedians said something about the number of people in attendance at the show.

Jay D, a comedian who has appeared on “Comic View” and other shows, started the show off by saying, “Man, there’s only 17 people here to see us tonight. We could have done this show in my hotel room!”

While the crowd laughed and looked at each other, Jay D promised that even though he could count everyone in the audience, he and other performers would perform as if there were 19,000 people.

Honest John has been a comedian for 16 years.

John said that he named himself Honest John because he tells the truth in all of his acts. John said after working at a mental institute in California as a nurse, he decided to switch jobs, do something crazy and become a comedian. He joked about how people are supposed to sample songs, not steal them.

“Damn, it’s like they’re at a karaoke nowadays.”

Sam Simon, a junior artist for Soule Infinite, helps with business affairs. After attending the event, Simon said he hoped students who had been stressed out from midterms would relax, enjoy the show and be able to socialize with others.

Listesa Wallace, a graduate student in marriage and family therapy, agreed.

“Attending the event made me laugh and relieve the stress that has occurred from classes at school,” she said.

Another comedian, Michael Blackson, said that money talks and that money is what made him come to NIU.

“I would definitely come back to NIU because the fans were cool and I enjoyed myself,” he said. Many of Blackson’s jokes included punch lines about audience members. Another included a punch line about helping a young woman he knew with bad breath by planning a drive-by with Tic-Tacs.

Tatiana Miller, a junior journalism major, said the event was the best of the year.

“It took a while for the doors to open, but I enjoyed the show and got my money’s worth,” she said.

Junior communication major Devin Peck also enjoyed the show.

“The money that I paid to see the show was worth it,” Peck said.