Students feel the java buzzStudents feel the java buzz

By Jessica Majkowski

The clock strikes midnight and you realize with a sudden sensation of dread that you haven’t studied for that enormous test tomorrow morning. Time to grab a cup of coffee or chug that Mountain Dew.

Have college students become addicted to caffeine? Herbert Muncie, professor and chair of the Department of Family Medicine at the University of Maryland, said it is not possible to become addicted to caffeine.

For a substance to truly be addictive, you have to develop a tolerance for the pleasurable aspects of it, Muncie said.

“Technically, addiction refers to physical addiction,” said Steven Lux, health educator at University Health Service.

An addictive substance is something your body needs in order to feel normal, Lux said.

“Caffeine, on the other hand, is a naturally occurring stimulant,” he added.

Caffeine is a neuro-stimulant, Muncie said. The more often you use it, the less effective it becomes. However, taking larger doses will not increase the effect on your body. In that sense, it is not addictive, he said.

“It can become something people become dependent on,” Lux said.

Caffeine is not physically harmful, Muncie said.

“There’s no other biological neuro-stimulator that’s as safe as caffeine,” Muncie said.

However, there are some unpleasant possible side-effects of caffeine, including nervousness, upset stomach and having to urinate more than usual.

It also increases the chance of heartburn, Muncie said.

Other side effects include over-stimulation, jitteriness and an inability to concentrate, Lux said.

“One of the side-effects is it can make it difficult for people to sleep,” Muncie said. “That side-effect seems to be person-specific.”

Graduate art student David Yanchick said on average, he drinks three cans of caffeinated soda a day — usually Mountain Dew.

“It doesn’t keep me awake, but I’ve noticed that the more I drink pop, the more I want it,” Yanchick said.

The combination of caffeine and sugar, like in soda, seems to be particularly habit-forming, Lux said. He recommends that students limit their daily caffeine intake.

People should limit their coffee intake to an average of three cups a day or less, Muncie said.

“If you go beyond that, you don’t really get anything out of it,” Muncie said.

It is important to maintain a healthy relationship with any drug that you use, including caffeine, Lux said.

“Use them purposely,” Lux said. “If you use them indiscriminantly, they’re less effective.”

He recommended taking caffeine orally and in diluted forms. Often caffeine and other stimulants can make people feel like they are getting something for nothing. Lux said this feeling is a false impression.

“[Stimulants] force our body to give up its stored energy,” Lux said. “If you do that too much, you run out.”

Lux suggested reserving caffeine use for occasions when you know you will need it. Also, using it while studying can backfire. While caffeine may keep you awake, it will not help you think clearly, and may even cloud concentration.

The best way to think clearly is to get a good night of sleep, Muncie said.

Cutting back on caffeine once dependent can cause withdrawal, Muncie said. Symptoms include headaches and fatigue. If you’ve become dependent on caffeine, he suggests getting off of it slowly rather than going cold-turkey.