Teachers, students getting together

By Matt Knutson

People meet their significant other in college all the time – but that person usually is not a member of the faculty.

University officials have confirmed that there have been, and continues to be, relationships between faculty and students on campus. NIU policy does not prohibit these relationships, but “strongly discourages” them.

“As long as it’s between two consenting adults, it is their business,” NIU Ombudsman Tim Griffin said.

When the relationship starts, an immediate strain is placed on the student. What if the student does not want to go out with the faculty member? Is the person’s grade going to be affected because they are not interested in dating a teacher?

“If I, as a faculty member, am in a position to do something good or bad for you, it inherently makes the relationship suspect,” NIU Legal Counsel George Shur said.

Students on campus are weary when it comes to having a relationship with a faculty member because of the problems that may arise.

“I wouldn’t get into a relationship with a teacher because it would be too hard for both of us to keep it outside the classroom,” said Kaytee Kent, a sophomore English major. “Eventually, one of us would mess up.”

Griffin also said when a student and faculty member start to date, other questions arise. Students often wonder if the grade they earned was given to them because of the relationship, or if they actually got the grade they deserved.

“It [the relationship] does have an effect on other students,” Griffin said. “Students raise the question, whether or not they are getting a fair shake in the class, and wonder whether or not the student that is dating the teacher is getting special treatment because of a personal relationship.”

Dating also could result in a student’s peers neglecting him or her socially. The person could be afraid that whatever is said might make its way back to the teacher.

“I would feel uncomfortable dating one of my teachers, so I would decline the invitation,” said Melissa Fletcher, a sophomore pre-education major.

If a relationship goes poorly, more serious results can follow. A student could file sexual harassment charges against a faculty member. Students also may begin to wonder if their other classes are going to be affected. If other teachers begin to talk about that student, “it places a significant emotional strain on the student,” Griffin said.

When a student or faculty member is put in a situation like this, it’s important to “consider the good and the bad,” Shur said.

The administration tries to educate faculty members about the dangers of such relationships, Griffin added.

“Faculty dynamics can be affected,” he said. “Student dynamics can be affected … well beyond the two particular individuals in the relationship.”