USOAR seeks applicants for projects

By Stephanie Gandsey

Learning flamenco dance was something Jennifer Camp, a senior mathematics education major, always dreamed about. Through Undergraduate Special Opportunities in Artistry and Research, Camp was given the opportunity to study flamenco when she was awarded a grant to study at Northeastern Illinois University.

“This was by far the best experience of my life,” Camp said. “Now I definitely have the opportunity to become a flamenco dancer as a well as a math teacher.”

USOAR is a program that helps fund student-generated research projects. Students whose projects are selected receive up to $2,500 to conduct research.

The university has $50,000 to award to USOAR recipients. At least 20 proposals are funded each year with money from the university’s contract with Pepsi.

Each college has a different process for selecting recipients. Students should meet with a professor to discuss ideas before writing a proposal.

Last year, 44 proposals were accepted because money was left over from the previous year. However, this year about 25 people will be chosen.

“It will be more competitive this year than it was last year,” said Interim Vice Provost, Robert Wheeler.

Proposals are due in the student’s college office by Jan. 13. Recipients will be notified by Feb. 14. If approved, students can begin work on their projects by March 1, or anytime within the year. Students are responsible for expenses after $2,500 and need to submit a report after the project is completed.

As Camp shows, one doesn’t need to submit a proposal that has to do with major.

“The award could be applied to the honors capstone,” Wheeler said.

Students need to be in good academic standing if they want to submit a proposal. Wheeler also said the program would like to see proposals from the College of Education since they haven’t had one before.

“I think it’s very beneficial to furthering a student’s academic activities,” junior FCNS major Michelle Stocker said.

Although workshops were held yesterday and last week, Wheeler offered to conduct another one if students showed interest. If students are interested in attending a workshop, they can e-mail Wheeler at [email protected].

For information on the program, call 753-0494 or visit http://www.student.niu.edu/usoar.