NAACP voices its concerns at panel

By Michael Klaas

An NAACP panel discussed a variety of issues from on and off-campus security to event coverage in the Northern Star.

The panel of nearly 10 guests included members of the NAACP, the DeKalb and campus police, as well as Northern Star editors.

Central to the discussion were police actions and arrests made during a Homecoming weekend party at The Dungeon nightclub, 1029 Hillcrest Drive.

Party organizers Charlie Wells and Lashun Tines questioned the police about what they believe was excessive force when police arrested people outside the club who allegedly had started the Oct. 19 brawl.

The discussion quickly spread to other issues, like the cost and availability of police at campus events. Some students had complaints that University Police officers are overly cautious about events hosted by minority groups.

“We had at least five officers and the six student security [at our event],” junior marketing major Octavia Bonds said. “Barely anyone was even there. We even left early because nobody had shown up.”

Lt. Matthew Kiederlen, operations commander of University Police, said having that many officers at Bonds’ event was a mistake.

“There are certain functions that require less security,” he said. “Comedy shows or fashion shows may only see a couple of officers for one of those. When we have the dances, we will have a higher presence, and a lot of that is based on not only what we’ve had in the past, but also what the Holmes Student Center requests.”

Kiederlen said the perception of heavy security at minority events probably comes from the fact that minority groups host the majority of large on-campus events.

Additional concerns were raised about how the Northern Star reports events within the minority community or about minorities. Some of the participants questioned why the Star gives front-page coverage to negative stories and sometimes does not report on positive ones.

“When we decide what goes on the front page … it all depends on what kind of a news day we’re having,” said Barbara Bystryk, editor in chief of the Northern Star. “Each time it depends on the amount of people the story affects.”

Students spent more than 90 minutes discussing and asking questions of panel members.