Dance concert entertains captivated audience

By Nick Swedberg

Everybody get your rélevé on.

The NIU School of Theatre and Dance entertained an enthused audience with the Fall Dance Concert featuring Down So Long It Looks Like Up, an original piece choreographed by Randall Newsom, head of the dance program at NIU.

Down So Long featured dancers dressed as street urchins and various other paupers. Newsom first choreographed this piece in London for the Cycles Modern Dance Group in the early 1970s. His inspiration came from a record he heard while in a mall and also from the lives of homeless people he has seen.

Included in the concert were three other pieces: Paquita, a Spanish-inspired classical ballet restaged by Newsom, lead the performance. It was originally choreographed by Joseph Mazilier and Marius Petipa.

How Slow the Wind and Fragments, both choreographed by NIU dance professors, anchored the concert.

How Slow the Wind, choreographed by associate theatre and dance professor Judith Chitwood, is a modern piece about Emily Dickinson’s relationships with people who influenced her life.

Fragments was created by assistant theatre and dance professor Karen Williamson from her own vision.

“I think it is as close to being professional as you can get,” said Diane Vicars, mother of Paquita soloist Jennifer Vicars.

The variety of the concert seemed to be the highlight for some in attendance. Pamela Juzwik, a senior biology major, thought the mixing of modern and classical dance made the concert interesting.

“I think every student at NIU should go to a least one concert,” Juzwik added.

Hanna Mrowinski, a sophomore elementary education major, said the play had something for everybody.

“It was better then anything else they did this year,” Hanna said. She thought concerts held earlier in the year were not performed as well as The Fall Dance Concert.

The Fall Dance Concert runs Nov. 21-24 at 7:30 p.m. Thursday through Saturday and 2 p.m. on Sunday. Tickets can be purchased at the door or in the Stevens Building box office Monday through Friday 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Ticket prices are $14 for general public, $8 for seniors and $7 for students. To reserve tickets or for information, call the box office at 753-1600.