Get your shots before flu season starts

By Stephanie Gandsey

With the flu season approaching, it may be wise to take the time to get a flu shot.

Students can get a vaccination from University Health Service during the week or attend a flu clinic from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Wednesday at the Holmes Student Center’s Capital Room.

If students receive the vaccination from University Health Service, the cost is $6.50, compared to $15 at Wednesday’s clinic. Student fees help to cover the cost of the vaccine through UHS. There will be no charge at the clinic for NIU employees with health coverage.

Influenza, or the flu, is caused by a virus spread through the nose and throat. The flu causes fever, sore throat, chills, cough, headache and muscle ache.

Jane Lux, director of personal health services at the DeKalb County Health Department, believes it’s wise for students to get the vaccine because they live in close contact with each other.

“The vaccine will reduce the chance of getting the flu,” Lux said. “It’s not 100 percent effective, but it’s very effective. If someone does get it, they have less-severe symptoms if they had a flu shot.”

According to information from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta, Ga., people over 65 years old, those with chronic disorders and women in the second or third trimester of pregnancy should get vaccinated.

Some students worry about side effects after receiving the shot.

“Every time I’ve gotten a flu shot, I’ve gotten the flu,” said Monica Ledesma, a junior history major.

However, Lux said one can’t get the flu after receiving a shot, but soreness, swelling, fever and muscle aches can occur for one to two days after the vaccine.

“It’s a common misconception that the shot can make you sick,” Lux said. “Vomiting is a common stress reaction.”

People also confuse the stomach flu with influenza. Others think if they were just sick, they shouldn’t get the shot.

“I just had mono,” said Colleen Glynn, a senior special education major. “If I got the flu shot, I’d probably end up with the flu.”

Carol Sibley, nurse coordinator for preventative medicine, said vaccination is in late October this year rather than in early October like last year.

“If vaccinated too early, and it’s a late year, you may not have as much prevention,” she said.

No appointments are needed to get the flu shot at UHS or the clinic, but a large number of people usually attend the clinic.

“There can be over 500 people in the four hours,” Lux said. “But the line moves fairly quickly.”