Three sections to reach one goal

By Mark Bieganski

As CAB President Laisha Fox sat through the Student Association Senate meeting Sunday, one question ran through her head -’why?’

Fox, who also serves as an SA senator and the student vice chair for the convocation board, said Sunday’s vote on the SA entertainment committee was the first time she ever heard of the bill.

As representative from CAB, she was unavailable for comment by press time Monday, but had no hesitation voicing the opinion about the new proposed committee upon return to work Monday.

“I was quite surprised at the bill—it did concern me,” Fox said. “My main concern was because CAB is the main programming entity for NIU.”

While Fox noted that CAB serves both the students of NIU and residents of DeKalb, the duplication of an already existing entity was pointless.

“I did voice my opinion, I felt it was essential,” she said. “What would actually be the purpose of replicating something we already have? I tried to reiterate to the SA senators our purpose for being on campus.”

The bill, which calls for a new SA sponsored committee to be formed to help provide big time entertainment, would aim to bring programming that most on NIU’s campus hasn’t seen before.

Initial funding for the new SA committee, which would be comprised of five members picked by the SA president, would be taken from the student activity reserve for the amount of $37,500. Funding from other organizations would not be affected as a result; however, future allocations most likely would be effected. The voting of the bill at Sunday’s SA Senate meeting sparked much anticipated debate on the need for another entertainment committee and its effectiveness.

Fox said that while $37,500 is not a lot of money to bring a big act to campus, co-programming most would be a must for the possible new committee.

“When I think of big acts, I think of acts that are $100,000 plus,” Fox said.

While the price for bringing big time entertainment varies based upon the event being held, honorary fees and production costs add up to costly amounts.

“With the funds, money talks,” Fox said. “When you have the funds, you open up a lot of avenues to do a lot of things.”

CAB was approved last April by the SA for a budget of $465,881, which was divided between CAB’s 14 different committees.

While the SA bill calls for five students to represent the possible committee, Fox noted that CAB has more students dedicated to specific areas of programming.

“Right now, CAB concerts is comprised of over 20 students,” Fox said. “Now, you only have five students doing the work of 20 students.”

Fox doesn’t feel that the SA should control a committee that’s main purpose is to provide programming.

“The SA is a governing branch, not a programming branch,” Fox said. “That is why CAB is in existence.”

Fox’s main blunder is where the big time entertainment will go when they get to DeKalb.

“You have the big act, now where are they going to perform,” she said. “Chick Evans is no longer in existence, the Duke Ellington will not be a large enough venue and the Convocation Center has their own agenda.”

Fox noted that because the convocation center is a new facility, their main goal is to generate revenue for their facility.

“What other university do you know that can bring larger acts to their campus two to three times a year and still charge their students an inexpensive ticket?” Fox asked.

Ticket prices for up and coming acts are not as expensive as popular bands, Fox noted.

When Nelly performed at the field house two years ago, ticket prices averaged around $20. Fox said now, tickets for Nelly cost almost $50.

“There is no difference,” Fox said. “It is a replica of something that’s already in existence.”

While one of the main focuses of the possible SA committee is to provide minority entertainment on campus, Fox said CAB can do it just as well.

“We have no problem working with the SA,” Fox said. “We have no problem co-sponsoring anything.”

Fox said she is open to the idea of receiving the funds if the SA committee is not formed.

“That would be an excellent idea,” Fox said. “Allotting CAB $37,500 would give us more options and open more roads.”

Fox insists that even if the SA committee is formed, CAB will not become under-programmed.

“I don’t think CAB will become obsolete. We just simply do not have the funds.” Fox said. “We just don’t have the huge budget when it comes to concerts. Why replicate something that we already have as opposed to helping something that’s already in existence.”

The bill regarding the formation of a new big time entertainment committee has been referred to the SA’s Internal Affairs committee.