Find help managing stress

By Jessica Majkowski

With the recent midterm crunch, many students are familiar with stress.

Mark Fischer, a psychiatrist at the DeKalb Clinic, 217 Franklin St., has several suggestions for preventing stress.

Limiting the amount of things you do was his first suggestion.

Fischer said it’s important for students not to lose sleep or change their sleeping patterns.

“That’s probably the single most important thing not to change,” Fischer said.

He also suggested getting counseling if one is especially stressed. Fischer recommended speaking with psychiatrists Diana Kraft and Thomas Dennison at University Health Service or to David Valentiner at the Psychological Services Center. He said students also can find counseling at the Ben Gordon Center, 12 Health Services Drive, DeKalb.

Kirsten Eddy, a registered nurse at Rochelle Community Hospital, has dealt with patients who have anxiety attacks brought on by stress.

“We suggest counseling or some kind of stress relief,” Eddy said.

Brandy Parker, a senor textiles, apparels and merchandising major, suggested various forms of exercise as a stress reliever. Parker, who works at the Office of Campus Recreation, listed some of the services that OCR offers. The list includes regular aerobics, an inside track and courts for volleyball, basketball, tennis and racquetball. Parker said racquetball is a good sport for stress relief.

“It’s like tennis off the wall,” she said.

Parker said the OCR also offers massages, personal trainers, intramural sports and kickboxing.

“I always recommend the kickboxing class,” Parker said. “It’s a good way to work your body, but also relieve some stress.”