Rappin’ for the bling bling

By Stephanie Gandsey

A freestyle contest will be held today from noon to 1 p.m. in the Diversions Lounge at the Holmes Student Center. The grand prize winner will receive two free tickets to the Nappy Roots concert. Other promotional items will be given away during the competition, which is sponsored by the Campus Activities Board.

John Ugolini, CAB Concerts Coordinator and a junior communication major, expects about 50 people will compete in the contest.

“Freestyle is rapping, only you’re improv-ing,” Ugolini said. “You’re working off what you have.”

Lashaunna Watkins, a junior marketing major and a member of the CAB Concerts and public relations board, says the freestyle contest is open to anyone.

“If you can flow stuff through your head, it’s a really good thing to go to,” Watkins said. “It’s also a good way to get your name out.”

Judges for the competition will be members of the CAB Concert board.

Nappy Roots is a hip-hop group that currently is touring to promote their debut album, “Watermelon, Chicken and Grits.”

The group will perform on at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 5, in the Duke Ellington Ballroom at the Holmes Student Center.

Nappy Roots will showcase various hip-hop styles with their own view of life.

“I think Nappy Roots is an up-and-coming band,” Watkins said. “It’s a good opportunity to see new talent while tickets are cheap.”

Tickets are still available at the Holmes Student Center box office. Prices are $17 for NIU students with a valid NIU Onecard and $21 for the general public. The box office is open weekdays from 12:30 to 5:30 p.m. Tickets can be charged by phone at 753-1580. For information, call CAB at 753-1580 or vistit www.niu.edu/cab.