Get all your grad gear at once

By Michael Klaas

Today’s Fall Commencement Kickoff allows graduating seniors to get graduation announcements, rings and portraits all at once.

The event, organized by NIU’s Alumni Association, is intended to be a simple way for students to buy their graduation supplies.

“The VCB bookstore will be there with announcements [students] can order, and diploma frames,” said Pat Anderson, assistant director of the Alumni Association. “We’ll also have ring sales there.”

If students want to have a portrait taken to send to family and friends, a photographer will be ready.

“We will have Chapel Studios there to take a portrait picture of graduates,” Anderson said. “We will supply the cap and gowns, everything that they need for that, and there’s no charge for that.”

Career Planning and Placement will be there too.

“It’s kinda like a last chance to network with them before they leave campus,” said Patricia Liberty-Baczek of Alumni Employment Services. “We remind them of the services that we do provide, and let them know that they do continue after they graduate.”

Participating organizations will offer giveaways and raffle prizes to students who attend.

“Chapel Studios has a camera,” Anderson said. “I think TCF Bank has a gift certificate to Molly’s. Career Planning and Placement has a denim shirt.”

Some students, like senior OMIS major Brian Gray, think the event provides a valuable service.

“I think it makes things easier for people who are interested in getting a ring, or senior pictures taken,” he said. “It brings all of the ceremonial stuff into one place.”

But some people feel that the event only adds unnecessary frustration to an already stressful time.

“It felt like one more set of fees that I would have to pay to feel like I had graduated,” NIU alumnus CJ Grimes said. “Graduating is expensive enough. If NIU really loved us as students, they would make a gift of these fine things.”

The Alumni Association holds a commencement kickoff event every October and March for students graduating around those times.