Campus map placement and road repair planned

By Willie Mickell

NIU is hoping to start two projects that would benefit students and visitors who drive or walk around campus.

Roadway repair

One project, which would begin in summer 2003 if state funds are approved, is the Campus Roadway Repair and Reconfiguration project.

It includes the reconstruction of Gilbert Drive, which is the north-south road connecting Lucinda Avenue and College Avenue. Students commonly use it to go to Jack Arends Hall, which also is known as the Art Building.

The project is estimated to cost $5,155.56, according to the Board of Trustees.

Bob Albanese, associate vice president of Operations and the Physical Plant, said Gilbert Drive is the worst road on campus for driving or walking.

“Reconstructing Gilbert Drive is NIU’s top priority right now to reconstruct,” Albanese said.

He added that while the state of Illinois runs pipes under Gilbert Drive next summer, NIU would reconstruct the parking area at the same time so it can save money and won’t have to tear up the road twice.

The university also would add some additional parking spaces after renovating the road, Albanese said.

Funds for the project would come from bond revenue, parking funds and state funds, he said.

“Student fees will not be used to reconstruct Gilbert Drive,”he said.

If the road is fixed next summer, it will not have to be replaced for another 20 years, Albanese said.

Signage and wayfinding

The Campus Signage and Wayfinding project – estimated to cost $4,336.66 – still is in its early stages of planning, said Patty Perkins, assistant to Eddie Williams, vice president of Finance and Facilities.

A construction date has not been set, nor has a deadline for the project been decided, Perkins said.

The funding would come from state legislators, who would have to approve the allocation in May of 2003.

“The purpose of this project is to make it as comfortable as possible for students and visitors to maneuver around the campus when searching for a classroom or a building,” Perkins said.

Maps already have been put in place, including one on Normal Road near the southeast side of the Holmes Student Center, to help people find their way to various buildings, Perkins said.

“The maps were a trial to receive feedback on how helpful they were,” Perkins said. “They also gave us an opportunity to receive suggestions about how we could better serve our students.”

There haven’t been too many complaints from people about not being able to find their way around campus, Perkins said.

“We hope that by implementing a long-term master plan, such as the Signage and Wayfinding project, we would suit the campus and the community for years to come,” Perkins said.