NIU may upgrade HVAC systems

By Jessica King

For students in Reavis, Watson and Montgomery halls, NIU’s trying to make the air flow a little bit easier.

NIU hopes to upgrade and replace existing heating, ventilating and air conditioning (HVAC) systems and replace windows in the three campus buildings.

The improvements would involve replacing and fully automating the roughly 40-year-old temperature control systems. The project also would upgrade fume hoods at Montgomery Hall’s laboratories.

“Over the years we’ve had complaints from faculty, students and staff about the temperature systems in those buildings,” said Jim Bryant, director of architectural/engineering services.

Before any work could begin, the Illinois Board of Higher Education and the Illinois General Assembly would have to approve and allocate the $15 million in funding for the projects. Legislators will balance the state budget in May 2003.

Bryant estimated that the project wouldn’t be completed for at least three years, if approved.

“It all depends on the economics at the time,” he said.

Bryant said the changes would make the buildings more energy efficient and comfortable.

Jan Vander Meer, an administrative secretary for the English department who works in Reavis Hall, said she doesn’t experience many problems with the temperature or air quality in that building.

“It’s a lot better than it used to be,” she said. “This is an old building. We have lots of variances in the temperature, but they’re working hard to keep the building comfortable, considering what they have to work with.”

Nicholas Valenti, an English graduate student, said he hasn’t experienced too many problems in Reavis.

“My only complaint is that the building is chronically cool,” he said.

NIU engineer Ron Beldon initially proposed the Montgomery Hall project, said Michael Saari, associate director at NIU’s Physical Plant. The Reavis and Watson proposals stemmed from a recent physical plant-sponsored study of some of the older campus buildings.

The $15 million cost estimate breaks down into $2 million each for Reavis and Watson mechanical improvements, $4 million for Montgomery mechanical improvements and $7 million for new windows.

Bryant said the university has no idea of who actually would be doing the work.

“It’s a long process,” he said.

Both Bryant and Saari claimed that the old systems pose no danger.

“There really aren’t any significant indoor air-quality problems right now,” Saari said.

He added that he’s unsure how long the work would take to be completed.

“The normal time frame for this sort of project is 10 months to a year,” Saari said. “There is a possibility that the buildings can be occupied while this work is going on.”