SA officers’ pay broken down

By Sara Blankenheim

If you’re a student, you’re a part of the biggest organization on campus – and chances are you’re unaware of it.

“No, I didn’t know I was [part of the Student Association],” sophomore history major Matt Davidson said.

Although you’re one of the unpaid members, you’re definitely not alone.

Other positions in the SA that are unpaid include the Supreme Court justices, chief justice, senators and the student trustee.

Every member of the senate is unpaid, with the exception of the senate speaker, the president and the senate clerk.

The president and the senate clerk each earn $30 a meeting, whereas the senate speaker earns $6.15 an hour for an average of 20 hours a week.

The main paid positions belong to SA executives and cabinet members.

The Executives

SA President Kevin Miller is responsible for making sure all ideas of the student population are taken into consideration.

“The president’s role is largely ceremonial – the mouthpiece of the student body,” he said. “The president is someone that [students] can come to and trust to look into things they want looked into.”

SA Vice President Jaime Garcia is responsible for handling all student organizations.

“That’s most, if not all, of his job,” Miller said.

Garcia keeps track of the paperwork, answers questions for the organizations and helps them through the recognition process.

“It means that you are fully recognized by the SA as an organization,” Miller said.

Next in line is SA Treasurer Shaun Crisler.

“The SA collects all of the student activity fees,” Miller said, “which is probably around $1.2 to $1.3 million. That’s what Shaun deals with.”

The treasurer also is responsible for administering funding to respective areas and sometimes helps organizations create their budgets.

The executives all make $7 an hour and are paid for roughly 20 hours a week — although their jobs often entail working for more hours than that.

The Cabinet

Kevin O’Kelly is chief of staff and cabinet supervisor.

“He’s my right-hand man,” Miller said.

Lonnie Pollard, the director of organizational development, is in charge of helping student groups with funding and recruitment. Pollard set up the Organizational Expo that happened last Wednesday.

“He helps organizations grow and become successful,” Miller said.

Brooke Robinson, the director of public affairs, organizes contact with the media and handles public impression.

In addition, Robinson acts as the official historian.

Eric Johnson, the director of governmental affairs, has a similar job, but on the governmental side.

He handles contacts and SA negotiations with any outside governmental agencies or other university governments.

Rachel Turner is the director of cultural affairs, and also is the president of Believing in Culture.

She promotes various programs and events between and for different cultures.

“As I’m sure you know, NIU is a very diverse campus,” Miller said.

Chris Crumble, the director of academic affairs, works on policies and issues that relate specifically to academics.

“He’s working closely with us on the book-rental proposal,” Miller said.

Mike Evans, the director of Greek affairs, handles all Greek Row issues and has an active role with the city’s Greek Row Task Force.

Maurice Montgomery is the director of transportation.

He sets routes and policies with the mass transit boards and deals with issues concerning the Huskie Bus line.

The director of advertising, Merelda Talvera, handles contracts and posting of signs on Huskie buses.

“Everything from posters on the inside to ads on the outside,” Miller said.

Jaime Salgado is the director of student life.

“Anything that’s student-life related, he deals with,” Miller said. “Anything from the Residence Hall Association to campus safety.”

Finally, the director of athletics, recreation and development, is Brent Moynihan.

He chairs the Office of Campus Recreation and deals with future developmental issues.

“He’s always looking at ways to get students [to all of the] games,” Miller said.

Each member of the cabinet earns $6 an hour for about 20 hours a week, for 46 weeks each year.

Despite the pay differences, Miller said, “everyone’s job is equally important.”

Miller said the positions that require office hours generally are the ones that are paid.