Board grants $39.8M

By Jessica Morris

The DeKalb Community School Board ad-hoc committee met for its last time and approved a $39,846,602 referendum Tuesday.

The referendum will appear on November ballots.

The approved plan, which was proposed by Burnidge Cassell Associates of Elgin, will focus on renovating current buildings instead of building additional ones.

Under the plan, DeKalb High School will receive $23,687,881 to build a new gym and a second floor. The high school also will expand its capacity to 2,000 students.

Clinton-Rosette and Huntley middle schools will receive $3,909,737 of the funds. Clinton-Rosette will add locker rooms and renovate its art and music facilities. Huntley also will renovate art and music facilities, and add a computer room.

Elementary schools will receive $12,248,984 of the funds and will expand their capacity from 2,380 to 2,980 students. More renovation capabilities will allow that number to expand to 3,130 in the future.

Cortland Elementary will add four classrooms and a multi-purpose room. Jefferson Elementary will add a multi-purpose room. Lincoln Elementary will add three classrooms, a music room, learning center, more office space and a gym.

The committee has tried to keep neighborhood schools at a maximum capacity of 500 students per school.

But, with new renovations, Brooks Elementary can accommodate up to 550 students. The school board assured the committee that it was comfortable with the higher number as long as the building could support every student.

Despite falling under the goal of $40 million, the committee is concerned whether the referendum will appeal to the public.

“It will sell,” said Holly Wallace, a DeKalb resident and committee member. “It helps everyone. They are all going to get something out of this.”

School board president Don Robinson agreed.

“Our biggest challenge in the beginning was in bringing such a diverse group together,” he said. “We had people who strongly supported the previous referendum, as well as those who opposed it. It is exciting to finally get together and to move forward.”

Committee member Melissa Butts was concerned classroom size still will remain high, citing 22 students who overflowed from Cortland Elementary to Chesebro Elementary last week.

The school board will meet on Tuesday.