Making the adjustment

By Adam Zolmierski

Trevor Stocking knew adjusting from high school baseball to college baseball would be challenging, but the increase in playing time has boosted his productivity.

The season has been one of ups and downs for the NIU baseball team, 16-16, though one of the team’s bright spots has been the consistency of Stocking.

The Hersey native came to NIU expecting to play occasionally during his freshman campaign. The season began slow for Stocking as the shortstop was not getting many at-bats. Stocking, however, took advantage of a few starts midway through the season and has thus earned the spot as NIU’s starting shortstop.

“He’s gotten to this point by working hard,” said NIU coach Dave Schrage. “Trevor has taken advantage of the opportunities he’s been given and hasn’t looked back.”

The freshman infielder certainly has taken advantage of his opportunities, as he has raised his average from .250 three weeks ago to .379, his current average. This past weekend at Western Michigan, Stocking hit 8-for-14 with two runs scored, four doubles, and three RBI. He even moved into the fifth spot in the order Sunday and was 1-for-2 with a two-run double.

Things started to turn around for Stocking on April 3 against Wisconsin-Milwaukee, as he came to the plate in the bottom of the ninth with the game tied at eight and delivered a clutch game-winning single up the middle. Since then, he has only gotten better and more relaxed at the plate.

“I’ve started to get comfortable recently and I’m getting a lot more at-bats,” Stocking said. “Coach has been working with me on my hitting. He changed my swing and it has helped.”

Stocking wasn’t expecting to get many starts this season as a freshman, so he knew every time he did get a start, he’d have to perform. He accounts his success thus far to his hard work.

Stocking had many obstacles to work around, like trying to fit in with his new teammates, figuring out how to adjust to college baseball and how to earn some playing time.

The adjustment hasn’t been hard for Stocking, but he claims that learning how to handle the pitching and the speed of the college game was hard to pick up at first.

“We have a great coaching staff here,” said the freshman shortstop. “They are very friendly and the atmosphere is very laid back. The whole team is very close. That has made the adjustment a lot easier.”

Although Stocking has made significant strides in his game during his freshman season, he believes he still has room to improve. He believes that he can get better every year with his hitting and defense and that each year will give him more experience to build off.

Both Stocking and Schrage believe strength will be key to rounding out his game and making him a great player.

“Once Trevor matures in our program he’ll get stronger and drive the ball,” Schrage said. “By the time he’s a junior he’ll be one of our better home run hitters.”