Defense a specialty for NIU’s Vander Meer

By Brian Hayes

If you take a look at the 1992 NIU Volleyball Media Guide, it says the following about Amy Vander Meer:

“5-6, Junior, Palos Park, Carl Sandburg High School.”

That’s easy. Height, class, hometown and high school. No problem. Then it has a line underneath all of the above information that is somewhat perplexing:

“Defensive specialist.”

It sounds important when you say it. ‘Defensive specialist.’ Actually, it sounds like a position in the medical field or in the military. In reality, it is a position on the volleyball team that Vander Meer plays very well and enjoys.

“I like playing it (defensive specialist) a lot. It’s easier for me than the taller girls,” said Vander Meer. “I don’t really go by statistics. If I feel I have played a good game, then I’m happy.”

Although Vander Meer admits to not looking at statistics, there are a couple of numbers that are hard to avoid. She has had more than 200 digs in each of the last two seasons, and if all goes well, she will surpass that again this season—she has 167 with four matches left.

Another impressive number is the fact that she will appear in her 100th match as a Huskie this Saturday afternoon. All this from someone who was a walk-on to head coach Pete Waite’s club just two years ago.

Vander Meer played high school volleyball for Carl Sandburg. There she was an All-SICA North selection. In 1989, she was a co-captain and was rated the No. 6 Chicago-area defensive player by the Chicago Sun-Times.

She received a scholarship in 1991 after playing in 1990 as a walk-on. In her freshman season she played in 34 matches and had 202 digs, placing her sixth on the team with 1.73 digs per game. Last season, she appeared in 36 matches and was fifth in digs with 273.

However, Vander Meer is concentrating on the possibility of things to come for her and the team in the coming weeks.

“My goals are for us to win the (Mid-Continent) conference tournament and if we are invited to the NCAA (Tournament) or the NIVC (Tournament), I want to play good defense and help the team,” said Vander Meer. “I want us to play great matches and as hard as we possibly can.”