NIU’s swim, dive teams ready for ‘hot’ season

By Brian Wiencek

It never does make sense, but as the weather gets colder, it’s time for the NIU men’s and women’s swimming teams to take their place in the pool.

Thankfully, the pool is indoors where the temperature is mild and the competition is boiling.

NIU swimming coach Jeanne Fleck decided to collect some frequent flyer mileage this summer by recruiting from out of the state and even out of the country. She managed to bring in a total of six recruits to add to the NIU roster for the 1992-93 campaign.

The first, Ben Bell, is from Canada. The breaststroke specialist is one of the top-ranked swimmers in the Great White North. Hobe Scholz, sibling of NIU’s Kristin Scholz, is from Quincy High School and will participate in the backstroke competition. The long distance freestyle category will be improved with the addition of Kerri McClory from Phoenix, Ariz.

Along with those recruits are Darien’s Kristyn Kempa, Abigale Hathaway, Karen Hansen and Janine Bittner.

“We’re really excited,” said Fleck. “For the women, it has been one of the best recruiting years ever.”

After suffering the loss of one of NIU’s most successful divers, NIU diving coach Jeff Symons was busy this summer trying to find someone who might be able to fill the spot of Bryan Hanania.

He may have done just that with Tony D’Amico. From Naperville Central High School, D’Amico was second in the state of Illinois and ranks among the nation’s Top 10 recruits.

“He was heavily recruited,” said Symons, “but we started on him early, and I think that made the difference.”

With that, keep in mind that the Huskies still have senior Matt Mersman, whose 1991-92 success was overshadowed by Hanania’s success.

On the women’s side, Naperville is again the center of attention as Margaret Turner joins NIU. From Naperville North High School, Turner was ranked among the top five in the state last year.

Returning for the women’s squad will be sophomore Amy Inselberger and junior Jen Anderson. Symons feels that their experience will make them both better divers.

“The overall attitude of the team is really good_healthy and positive,” said Symons. “We’re really excited to have them all.”