Supermileage club gains SGA recognition at Senate meeting

SGA Senate The Student Government Association Senate unanimously approved its first senator for the semester at Sunday’s meeting.

Courtesy of NIU Student Government Association

Student Government Association logo

By Ashley Dwy

DeKALB – With a unanimous vote, the Student Government Association granted the NIU Supermileage club recognition during the virtual SGA Senate meeting Sunday.

The Supermileage club wants to expand their student base, which is why they were seeking recognition from SGA, said Matt McCoy, president of the Supermileage club.

There are currently 25 members in the Supermileage club, and they build, design, and compete with ultra-efficient vehicles, said Cade Larson, vice president of the Supermileage club. 

“We hope to continue to provide more across campus and give our students more diverse opportunities – whether that’s students who are not engineering or STEM-related students, students who are interested in building vehicles or environmentally friendly systems,” McCoy said.

Executive Branch reports

The Election Board Committee has been working on their outreach and has plans to make a video series for the upcoming SGA elections.

“I have two ideas in mind,” elections commissioner Cassandra Kamp said. “One, reach out to the current student leaders for the positions we’re having students run for, and then create an elevator pitch video talking about their position and what they have benefited from doing student government.”

The other video series will include reaching out to SGA alumni and building a network with them, Kamp said. 

The last three candidate meetings for the election are at noon  Tuesday, 4 p.m.  Thursday and 4 p.m. March 1. All candidate registration forms are due at 5 p.m. March 5. 

SGA President Antonio Johnson said he has been working on setting up the Supreme Court nominations before the end of next week. 

Johnson has also been working with Learning Management Software to conduct an evaluation about whether or not NIU will be renewing its contract with Blackboard.

“Over the past two semesters, with virtual learning, it’s been kind of complicated for a lot of professors and also students to grasp being virtual,” Johnson said. “So, we’re just looking for different options there.”

On top of that, there are no plans for an involvement fair this semester; however, Greek Week dates have already been set up, Johnson said.