SGA candidate profile: Khadija Sadia

By Northern Star Staff

The following is the response to a Northern Star questionnaire sent to all SGA candidates. Answers have been lightly edited for clarity and consistency.

Sadia is running for a senator position for an NIU colleges & academics seat.

Name: Khadija Sadia

Year in School: PhD Student

Major: Educational Psychology, emphasis in Instructional Film

Hometown: DeKalb

Why do you want to be part of SGA?

Thus far, SGA has taught me many valuable skills, as well as strengthen my leadership and communication skills. Anticipating to represent the graduate school, I am looking forward to supporting my peers to the best of my ability by bringing in the various experiences that I have gained as a student leader in other organizations on campus.

What do you hope to accomplish during your term?

I intend to continue my journey as a senator by carrying forward on-going projects from the previous term. These include increasing the number of filtered water dispensers on campus and providing free-menstrual products throughout the campus bathrooms.

Why should students vote for you?

As a proud Huskie permanently residing in the NIU area, it will always be my utmost priority to ensure the well-being of NIU. I want to give back to my community as much as possible and make a difference on this campus by initiating projects to help NIU students. Furthermore, I want to be the voice for my fellow huskies to create a positive environment for the students here at NIU.

What do you think is NIU’s biggest area of improvement?

I think one of the biggest areas of improvement is becoming attentive to smaller issues that students often face on campus. To prevent these smaller issues to go unaddressed, it is vital to establish stronger bridges by helping them understand how SGA representatives can help the student body.

Why is student government important to you? Why should the student body care about it?

The Student Government Association is important to me because of the work that it does to help the student body. Hence, the student body should care about SGA because each one of the student leaders devotes much of their time to ensure the best interests of the NIU students.

The Northern Star is publishing the candidates’ responses to our questions as they are given to us. The Northern Star is not endorsing SGA candidates.