Huskie linksters eying fall season

By Brian Hayes

When NIU women‘s golf coach Pam Tyska was asked about the upcoming fall campaign, a few goals came to mind.

“We have the capability to pick up two team trophies and have three golfers be individual medalists,” Tyska said. “And that is being conservative.”

Tyska‘s prediction is fairly bold when you consider the Huskies only have four fall tournaments. However, she has six returning golfers and a familiar face helping the team.

Nicole Jeray has completed her four years of eligibility and has stayed on to work with the team. She was recently inducted into the NIU Golf Hall of Fame.

Jeray will graduate from NIU in December and has her sights set on LPGA Qualifying School next September.

The focus now for both Tyska and Jeray is the team’s practice and preparation for the opening match at Illinois State Sept. 12-13. The Huskies are competing against themselves as the women vie for the top spots on the roster.

According to Tyska, junior Karen Bromberg is “top dog by about one shot in qualifying, but she is battling two others for the top three spots.” The challenges are there in senior Kim Hodge and sophomore Shelly Wendels.

Hodge was a co-medalist with Jeray at last year‘s Michigan State Lady Spartan Invitational. She was also a medalist at the University of Nebraska‘s Cornhusker Invitational.

Wendels was a freshman phenomenon with three top-10 placements in the first three tournaments last year. She was also the top freshman at those events.

Other returnees include senior Jen Hall, sophomore Amanda Mokelke and sophomore Samantha Thompson, who hails from Victoria, Australia.

The only chance to see the team in action this fall will be at the NIU Huskie Classic at the Oak Club of Genoa on Oct. 2-3.