State Fire Marshal urges college students to create fire safety plan

Northern Star File Photo

Fire Truck is parked in the garage at the first DeKalb Fire House, 700 Pine St. 

By Waleed Alamleh, Sports Reporter

DeKALBThe Office of the Illinois State Fire Marshal is urging universities in the state to take measures in helping to educate students, parents, and faculty of the steps they can use to prevent fires. 

The month of September is used to bring awareness and help prevent on-campus fires from affecting college communities all across the country.

“It’s important that all the proper steps are being taken to ensure fire-safe living environments are available for students,” said Matt Perez, Illinois State fire marshal, in a Sept. 8 news release.

Student housing causes an average of one death, 32 injuries and $15 million in property damage each year, according to the National Fire Protection Association  

It’s important for universities and schools to give students the access to resources to create plans and preventative measures to avoid ever being caught in a terrible situation. 

The Office of the Illinois State Fire Marshal has given out some fire safety tips to help keep students safe by preventing on-campus fires in residential homes. Tips include testing all smoke alarms monthly or studying evacuation plans. 

For more tips and information, visit the Office of the Illinois State Fire Marshal website