Activities for students to try while on campus

The+Huskie+Den+in+Holmes+Student+Center+is+reopening+after+being+remodeled+and+shuttered+due+to+COVID-19.+

Zulfiqar Ahmed

The Huskie Den in Holmes Student Center is reopening after being remodeled and shuttered due to COVID-19.

By Quade Evans, Opinion Columnist

Campus has reopened to students this week following the low COVID-19 positivity rates. For first-years and transfer students who still have to get used to NIU’s campus it can be challenging to step outside of your comfort zone and make connections. Here are five things to do while on campus this semester.

Bowling at the Huskie Den

Bowling is an honored tradition at NIU, great for relieving stress and socializing with your friends. The Huskie Den, located on the lower level of the Holmes Student Center, opens to bowling at 6:30 p.m. Bowling is a great way to blow off some steam after class or turn up on a Friday night with some friends. Bowling also offers various health benefits too, like decreased cholesterol and hypertension as well as other kinds of muscular benefits. 

“Bowling tends to take the edge off for me when I want to relax,” said Eric Moore, a freshman majoring in fine arts.

Karaoke at the Huskie Den

When it comes to music, there is no activity like karaoke. It’s always been a fun activity with friends. Hosted by Tayvion Williams in the Huskie Den Stage every Thursday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., karaoke allows you to step outside of your comfort zone and sing without judgment. 

“Karaoke is a really fun activity to do, especially when you really like the song,” said Britton Johnson, a sophomore majoring in accounting. 

Working out at the Recreation Center

Exercise is a healthy activity that can be a good habit to get into. On campus the Recreation Center is open from 6:30 a.m. to 10:30 p.m. Monday through Friday and 12 p.m. to 7 p.m. on the weekend. includes multiple state of the art workout machines and exercise rooms. You can partake in activities such as boxing, basketball and weightlifting all in the same building. 

Join a club

Clubs are a staple of extracurricular activities and help form the backbone of a student’s experience at college and NIU has no shortage of them to offer. There are clubs for interests like chemistry, psychology and history. For people more athletically inclined, intramural sports would be up their alley.

Have an outdoor adventure 

Extracurricular activities aren’t limited to just indoor activities; there’s a lot to do outside too. The lagoon has been open to rowing for a long time and there are clubs and activities such as climbing, geocaching and cave exploring that students can take advantage of.

While a lot of these activities are more readily available in the springtime, you can still do things like ice skating at the Recreation Center. The ice rink is open from sunrise until 10 p.m. every day with some exceptions and is free for students. Rental skates are available for just $5 a day.