Huskies impress in South Bend at Meyo Invite

Women’s track and field records top-10 finishes in multiple categories Friday and Saturday.

Junior sprinter Neshay Curtis in a race during the 2018 track season

DeKALB — The NIU track and field competed in the Meyo Invitational hosted by Notre Dame University on both Friday and Saturday in South Bend, Indiana, where they had a rather strong showing.

The Huskies put out great performances over both days of the event. Senior sprints runner Kadeja Campell placed second in the 200 meters and senior jumper Jazmyn Smith finished second in the long jump.

In the 200 meters, the Huskies had four athletes place in the top 10. Besides Campbell finishing second, the Huskies also had sophomore sprinter Skylynn Blue finish fourth at 24.67 seconds and sophomore sprinter Malia Watkins finish seventh at 24.70 seconds.

“We did a good job of executing in every event we competed in,” director of track and field Connie Teaberry said. “This was definitely good for us as a group as we prepare for the MAC championship in three weeks.”

Three Huskies also finished in the top 10 in the triple jump. Senior Katrina Small finished fifth with 12.28 meters, senior Diamond Riley finished sixth with 12.13 meters and graduate student Kenyae Majors finished 10th with 11.60 meters.

Senior Kimore Hines and sophomore Scout Regular both found their way to the finals of the 60 meters and the 60 meter hurdles. Hines finished sixth in the 60 meters at 7.67 seconds and Regular finished fourth in the 60 meter hurdles with a time of 8.63 seconds.

The Huskies’ next meet will be on Feb. 11 at the Grand Valley State University Big Meet in Allendale, Michigan.