Huskies take 4 top-10 finishes in Coral Gables

NIU Athletics
Junior Roshell Rowe runs at the Redbird Tune Up on Feb. 16. NIU Track & Field had four top 10 finishes at the Hurricane Alumni Invitational Saturday. (Courtesy of NIU Athletics)

Two top-10 finishes in the high jump highlight NIU track and fields’ visit to Coral Gables, Florida, for the Hurricane Alumni Invitational. 

The Huskies’ high jump duo of freshman Arianna Calloway and junior Kamiya Dendy secured two of NIU’s four top-10 finishes of the invitational. 

Calloway finished in eighth place, as she cleared the bar at 1.72 meters. The freshman jumper needed three attempts to clear the mark of 1.72 meters before failing to clear 1.77 meters. 

Dendy finished in 10th place with a mark of 1.67 meters. She also needed three attempts to clear 1.67 meters before failing to clear 1.72 meters. 

Junior Henriette Halwas also competed in the high jump, finishing in 12th place, clearing the mark of 1.62 meters. 

Senior Kendal Only finished in 10th place for the triple jump, with her longest jump coming in at 11.84 meters. Only finished 0.27 meters behind ninth place finisher, Pennsylvania State University’s freshman Elizabeth Schreiber.

Senior Tara Stauffacher finished in 10th place in shot put with her best of three throws coming in at 12.13 meters. Stauffacher finished .04 meters behind St. John’s University’s freshman Maja Henry. 

Junior Emma Vorpagel competed in the 800-meter run Saturday, taking 13th place with a time of 2:14.31. Vorpagel’s time was a new personal record, making this the second straight week with a PR in the 800. 

Senior Malia Watkins finished in 12th place for the 100-meter dash, with a time of 11.89 seconds. Watkins and Northeastern University graduate Elizabeth McMahon finished the race within .004 seconds of each other, with McMahon earning 11th place over Watkins. 

Senior Julia Finegan took an 11th place finish in the 1500-meter run, finishing the race with a time of 4:54.98. 

Juniors Talayssia Sanders and Roshell Rowe both competed in the 400-meter dash Saturday.

Sanders finished in 13th place with a time of 56.56 seconds. 

Rowe finished 0.37 seconds behind Sanders in 15th place with a final time of 56.93 seconds. 

The Huskies will return to action on Saturday for the Cougar Classic in Edwardsville, Illinois, hosted by Southern Illinois University Edwardsville at Ralph Korte Stadium.