Track & field brings home 6 top-10 finishes

Courtesy of NIU Athletics
Senior Malia Watkins makes a turn on the track during the Cyclone Open on Jan. 19. Watkins took home a seventh place finish in the 60-meter dash at the Meyo Classic in South Bend, Indiana Saturday. (Courtesy of NIU Athletics)

DeKALB – Freshman Arianna Calloway earned another first-place finish in the high jump as one of six top-10 finishes for NIU women’s track and field at the Meyo Classic Saturday.

Calloway has now won the high jump three different times this season, this time with a winning jump of 1.78 meters. The freshman jumper also set the NIU school record in the high jump earlier this season with a jump of 1.80 meters. 

The Huskies had a pair of top-five finishes in the 200-meter dash in seniors Malia Watkins and  Skylynn Blue. Watkins took a third place finish with a time of 24.40 seconds and Blue finished in fifth place with a time of 24.54 seconds. 

Watkins is coming off a first-place finish and new personal best time in the 60-meter dash on Jan. 26. The senior sprinter finished in seventh place on Saturday and had a final time of 7.65 seconds. 

Junior Talayssia Sanders finished in sixth place for the 400-meter dash with a time of 57.15 seconds. 

NIU’s 4000-meter distance medley team earned a sixth-place finish with a time of 12:21.72. The relay team consisted of junior Olivia Southby, freshman Olivia Dixon, junior Emma Vorpagel and senior Julia Finegan. 

“This weekend definitely showed the hard work the athletes have been putting in since the return to campus,” said NIU Director of Track and Field Connie Teaberry via NIU Athletics. “The Notre Dame Meyo competition is extremely competitive, mental expectations have to be in check or they will falter.”  

The Huskies will travel to Chicago for the Wisconsin Windy City Invitational on Friday and Saturday and will be hosted by the University of Wisconsin at the Camp Randall Memorial Sports Center.