Stewart’s no-hitter earns Huskie of the Week

Brachbill earns honorable mention
Eddie Miller
A graphic shows sophomore pitcher/utility Danielle Stewart as the Huskie of the Week. Stewart recorded NIU softball’s first no-hitter since 2006 on Friday and struck out 17 batters in 10 innings pitched for the week. (Eddie Miller | Northern Star)

NIU softball’s first no-hitter since 2006 boosted sophomore pitcher/utility Danielle Stewart to her first Huskie of the Week honor of the season and third of her career.

After allowing no hits in three innings against Valparaiso University, Stewart silenced Bowling Green State University on Friday. Stewart held Bowling Green to no hits and one walk while striking out 11 batters.

The last Huskie no-hitter was thrown by Taryn Hagemann on March 14, 2006.

In two starts from the pitcher’s circle this week, Stewart compiled 10 innings of scoreless, no-hit softball, striking out 17 batters in the process.

At the plate, the Frankfort, Illinois, native went 5-for-12, including a home run.

Stewart ranks second in the MAC in earned run average (2.27) and opposing batting average (.208), as well as third in strikeouts (109).

HONORABLE MENTION: TY BRACHBILL

Freshman pitcher Ty Brachbill earned an honorable mention after recording a pair of wins with no earned runs allowed.

After recording a scoreless ninth inning in a win over Valparaiso, Brachbill pitched a complete game victory against Central Michigan University on Friday. Brachbill allowed four hits and one unearned run as he struck out six batters.

This week’s Huskie of the Week will be the last of the 2023-24 academic year.

The Northern Star sports section’s Huskie of the Week is voted for on a weekly basis. Student-athletes considered for this week’s edition were chosen based on their weekly performance in competitions taking place from April 22 to April 28.