Calloway’s high jump performance claims Huskie of the Week honors

Eddie Miller
A graphic shows freshman Arianna Calloway as the Huskie of the Week. Calloway earned an eighth place finish at the Hurricane Alumni Invitational on Sunday after clearing 1.72 meters on high jump. (Eddie Miller | Northern Star)

DeKALB – Freshman Arianna Calloway earned her first Huskie of the Week for the 2023-2024 season with her eighth place performance for the high jump at the Hurricane Alumni Invitational on Saturday. 

Calloway cleared the mark of 1.72 meters on her third and final attempt before failing to clear 1.77 meters. 

The freshman’s eighth place performance was the Huskies’ best finish during their visit to Coral Gables, Florida. 

Calloway broke the NIU record for high jump at the Blue and Gold Invitational on Dec 1, 2023, with a jump of 1.80 meters. 

The Huskies will return to action Saturday for the Cougar Classic in Edwardsville, Illinois, hosted by Southern Illinois University Edwardsville at Ralph Korte Stadium.

Next week’s Huskie of the Week will be announced April 15.

The Northern Star sports section’s Huskie of the Week is voted for on a weekly basis. Student-athletes considered for this week’s edition were chosen based on their weekly performance in competitions taking place from April 1 to April 7.